Friday 7 January 2011

Day 4 - no smokes

So is this quitting smoking thing going as predicted? No. It doesn't suck as much as I thought it would, for starters.

OK, so this is attempt #5 in two years. I'm no stranger to failure! I do try to park the stupid part of me that stubbornly refuses to learn from mistakes, and this time around, those learnings seem to be working. I am now into my fourth day of not smoking - and if I'm honest (and shhh, don't tell anyone this), I'm not really missing it. I'd stopped smoking in my car a month ago. I never smoke in the house. I'd cut down on smoking breaks at work. So all in all, the routine isn't something concrete that needs breaking down with an iron will.

I'm not using any patches, or any aids (apart from some red wine each evening). They call it cold turkey, but I tried those patches once, and they made me feel sick. I also think it's a good test of character, too. Which is probably why I failed all those times before! The key to me this time around is a positive mental attitude. I am keeping positive. It feels weird, in a positive way, that I am not smoking right now. I am clinging onto that as my motivating mantra. It's nice to have a clean mouth, and actually be able to smell stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment